Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
A Family favorite, this slow cooker pot roast recipe is a wonderful way to enjoy cheaper cuts of grass-fed beef. The subtle orange flavor imparted by Tamrind paste or orange rind makes a delicious sauce. This is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes.
Yield: 8 servings with some leftovers
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 hours
Ready in: 10 hours and 30 minutes
Ingredients for this Recipe for Pot Roast
- 4 lbs chuck roast beef
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs tamarind paste (asian market) or several pieces fresh orange peel
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 1 tsp green peppercorns, crushed (or black pepper)
- 1 tsp thyme or rosemary (or several sprigs fresh)
- 1/2 lb carrots or parsnips peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes washed and cut into quarters
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Procedure for this Crock Pot Roast Recipe
- Pound meat lightly or pierce with a meat tenderizer and marinade several hours at room temp or overnight in the refrigerator in a large bowl with the red wine vinegar. Dry well, discard vinegar.
- Place cut up potatoes and parsnips / carrots in bottom of 7 quart crock pot. Place meat on top.
- Mix / whisk together stock, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, tamarind paste, garlic and dried peppercorns in a medium pot over medium heat until well blended. Pour over meat and veggies in the crock pot.
- Cover and cook for 10 hours on low or 5 hours on high. If at home, you can set your slow cooker on high for first 3 hours then turn down to low for 4 hours.
- Remove meat and veggies to a platter. Remove herbs (if using fresh). Pour sauce into large frying pan and bring sauce to a boil on high heat. -or- Simply turn your slow cooker to high and remove the top (takes a little longer but easier). Allow to reduce by almost half and season with salt and pepper.
Cooking Tips for this Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
For Thicker Gravy: Add some flour or Arrowroot powder that has been mixed well with cold water.
For No/Low Carb: If using guar gum / xanthan then add to sauce and blend in blender on high BEFORE putting into frypan and reducing.
A great way to reheat your pot roast: Place slices of pot roast on plate (1 layer thick) along with the potatoes and carrots/parsnips (again only single layer). Pour sauce over potatoes and meat and heat in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sauce keeps meat from getting too dry.
Source for this Crock Pot Roast Recipe
This slow cooker pot roast recipe was adapted for crock pot by Arrington from Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Dr. Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, page 272